Map Program

Go down

Map Program

Post  Badger on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I found this map program online and Im liking it so far so Im going to use it for my test. It not only allows you to build maps with numerous tiles, objects, and details but it also allows you to host the map you created, add tokens and area effects to it, and is usable on the forum. It can be found here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and has some rules on how to use it but Ill briefly run through them here.

Basically how it works is you use the "Dungeon Painter" to create a map. Then you save it in the program and then export it to a jpg.Once that is done you go to the forum post a reply and select the "Host An Image" icon in the upper toolbar. This will have a drop down where you select the jpg that you saved to your computer select "Host It". It will give you three extensions after that: Thumbnail, Image, and Image URL. Copy the image URL at least and paste it in your post for saving or just paste it in the pyromancer webpages "Scene Viewer" under Map Image URL. After that you can customize by changing the cell type, pixel size per cell, add tokens, or just view the map. Changing the pixel size I have found is usually required to get the tokens to line up correctly in the cells of the map, this is usually trial and error and sometimes wont line up 100% but be close enough.

Tokens can be added to the map to represent the players or enemies that are in play. When you select "Add Token" it will pop up a box in the gray shaded area to allow you to customize the character. You can put a name, change the size of the token, add an initiative, change the picture, change the color bordering the picture, adjust transparency or even clone the token. When it comes to the picture you can choose one from their library which at the moment is limited or even find one that you want online and paste the URL of the image into a block to change it.

Once all of this is done you then select "To View" and it will show you the map and allow you to move the tokens to their starting positions. Also on this page are buttons to allow you to add or remove an area effect marker. The add option will bring up a window asking you to select the type of effect (IE Acid, Fire, Poison, etc) and a tool tip to add text to spell out what it does in game (damage, effects, duration, etc.). Afterwards you select "Select Area" and quite simply highlight the area on the map that your spell or device takes up. Remove quite simply removes an area effect zone by selecting the Remove button and then clicking on the specific area. For tokens you simply drag and drop them into position. When you place the cursor over the token its name will be present. On the bottom of the map is all the tokens lined up in the order of the initiative that was assigned to each target, placing the cursor over these icons will display the numeric initiative.

Once you are complete with your action select "Pass Turn and Copy URL for Forum to Clipboard" and this will pop up a window with a URL code in it. Select "Copy URL to Clipboard" and go back to the forum and right click>paste in a reply post with the actions that your character is doing. This will allow the next player to select that link, see the actions that you have taken, and then move their token. Rinse and repeat lol.

A couple things to point out. When it is your turn and you select the URL for the map, verify that your initiative token on the bottom is in the front position (All the way to the left). If not then it might mean that it is actually not your turn or that the GM might have gotten the initiative wrong when he created the token. Do not adjust this yourself, first verify that in fact it is your turn and then contact your GM to correct the mistake if any. Also be aware that all the tokens are moveable out of order, any distance. What this mean is that you can go to do your turn and move all the tokens as far as you want every turn. There are no rules built into this program so just be familiar with the rules of your game and only move what you are suppose to move.

Here is an example map and tokens from the website. Go ahead and familiarize yourself with it and feel free to create your own and post it here for practice. Enjoy!

Last edited by Badger on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Badger
Admin

View user profile http://dbd-rpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Map Program

Post  Badger on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Hosting an Image:
Thumbnail: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Image: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Image URL: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Badger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Badger on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:29 pm

After everything is completed you select pass turn which then gives you a URL to copy into the forum like such:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then the next person follows it and moves their piece.

Note: It looks like in order for me to get the initiative correct I need to continue to pass turn and copy the URL given by the last guy in the initiative. So if you see it is wrong help keep your GM honest and let him know.

Badger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Redderick on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:08 pm

have you looked into roll20 for initiative and maps and stuff?

Redderick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Badger on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 pm

nope sure haven't. Ill have to check that out tomorrow or something.

Badger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Redderick on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's pretty intense.

Redderick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Badger on Sun May 05, 2013 12:25 pm

wow that is intense! Seems like a waste of time to even have the forum lol. The only thing i see though is it looks like a "we all get together now and play" type system vs the "play when you have the time too" like we have here. Ill keep looking at it and see if there is a way to use it like I'm using the current map program.

Badger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Redderick on Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 am

No, the roll20.net thing is cool, but its a pain in the ass for the DM.. I tried to get it all set up and it seriously was annoying. I have used it in a campaign since we all had laptops, I was able to give players items that I made in photoshop or whatever. Like.. if they found a note, I could give it to them and if they wanted to they could share the note with other PC's by giving the item to the other characters. That was pretty cool and the pc's liked it a lot. plus I could draw a map and put it on their page. it worked well.

Redderick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Badger on Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

yeah it seems pretty cool but i dont think it will work for us in the way we are using the forum. Ill try when I have time to see if I can swing it just for the maps portion of the game.

Badger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down